Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wig: To Wear or Not To Wear?

Do you ever have those mornings where you wake up and you just feel kind of... gross? Like in the 7 hours since you went asleep something crawled in your bed, made your hair freak out, made your eyebrows grow into a unibrow, tinted your freckles a little darker, made your face a little puffy, and kind of "mis-aligned" your eyes? Then when you look in the mirror for the first time, you actually scare yourself? Well, welcome to my morning. 

Since my hair went from Long Layers to Barely There Bob, the main adjustment I've had to make is understanding how my hair manages to do what it does from the time I lay my head down to the time I wake up. First of all, there is this totally flat part where my head was pressing against the pillow, and absolutely nothing except a total head soak can make that part go back together. Then somehow, the front part of my hair kinks up and turns into this psychotic 1980's looking "Poof", like a wave or something. Kind of like this...

Every time I see this picture, I hysterically crack up. When I see something similar staring back at me first thing in the morning... NOT so funny. 

For the most part, I've enjoyed my short hair and I enjoy how easy it is to fix quickly. The only problem is that I don't leave the house very often, so I don't feel the need to fix it all the time. In other words, with long hair I could throw it up in a ponytail and look decent in public. With short hair, I can't put it up in a ponytail and I HAVE to fix it at least a little before I leave the house (if I don't people will think I don't shower or something). Long hair is manageable... Short hair thinks for itself. 

My hair has grown out quite a bit since I cut it in July, and as with any situation patience is the key virtue here. I'm not rushing the growing out process, and I trim here and here to make small changes, but I'd like a little more length than what I have now. I told Scott the other day that black women are so much smarter than white women in the hair department. As a white girl, we go to the salon and torture our hair with bleaches and highlights and cuts and straightening creams over and over. Black women... they pop in their weave or wear their wig and they get to change their hair all the time! 

White women used to wear wigs like 50 years ago, so why did that trend stop? I personally would love to have a wig collection of about 12 different cuts, colors, and styles to choose from on any given day. Just pull your fav. style of the day on and go about your day. Then, when you come home, you can pull the wig off, and that's it! I'm not sure when wigs stopped being popular, but I'm being completely serious when I say that I wish they weren't so taboo.

I mean, look at patients that are undergoing chemo treatments. There are so many people who donate their hair to Locks of Love to make wigs for people who have lost their hair, but do we ever think about how uncomfortable people are when they're forced to wear a wig. I guess it's like this: 

Sometimes I can be standing in a crowded room and nothing but "life" is going on. But there's this weird feeling that seems to be around me, a feeling that makes me feel somewhat...different in some way. Like I don't quite fit in, because I'm not healthy and perfect like everyone else. It's hard to explain.  Now I'm sure everyone has felt this from time to time during some low points, so you know that it's a lonely feeling to feel like you don't fit it. If I were standing in a room, and I was wearing a wig because I didn't have much hair and I had no other options, I would feel like I fit in a lot better if there were five or six more women in the room that also wore one too, even if it was because they just wanted to! It's weird, but not having much hair can make you feel a little naked sometimes. 

It seems like it is acceptable to wear fake hair extensions that cost a fortune but it's not as acceptable to wear an entire wig.. what is that? And you can say it's acceptable all you want, but you know that there'a always going to be that person that whispers, "You see that girl over there? Her hair is fake. It's a wig." and there you go.

Let's look at some women who have fashioned wigs from time to time, whether it be for fun or from hair loss. Bet you didn't even notice they were wearing one as you admired their BEAUTIFUL hair...







hmm.... All it would take would be some fashion magazine to decide that wigs are in for this season, and the whole world would be buying one. Do you  think they will ever come back? I wish they would!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and considerate when leaving a comment. Constructive criticism is accepted. Any comments irrelevant to post or derogatory in nature will be deleted promptly. I'd love to hear your ideas and experiences!