Monday, October 10, 2011

Computer Funerals are Depressing!

Happy Columbus Day! It's rather early still, and I'm on Day two of my "At Least One Blog Entry a Day" Campaign. I mentally started it yesterday, and I'd like to write at least one blog entry each day for a month. I seriously doubt my abilities to focus and stay on track in attempting this goal, but I'm still going to try. If I do indeed succeed at this, I will have kind of developed a new habit, so writing in my blog will be the "normal natural" think that comes first each day. Anyway...

About a week ago, my precious computer died. You have to understand this: My computer and I, well we really have a tough bond. I spend a LOT of time on my computer every single day, and I learn all of my features and buttons to make my system work for me. So if suddenly I can't get my computer to turn on and when it does come on, the computer randomly shuts off, I start to panic. I have a zillion pictures and documents saved on my computer of ideas for projects, family photos, and random images and stories.

When I dropped my computer off at a "Computer Repair" shop in Montgomery, Alabama, I was convinced that the issues I was having were due to a loose power cord and the computer somehow wasn't getting the necessary "juice" to run. The people running the place, an older couple who looked like they retired and got bored staying at home, seemed to think that it just may be the electrical connection as well. Tighten a little bit of this and twist a little bit of that, and I should be able to expect a phone call the next day to come pick up my phone.

And I did get a phone call the next day alright. To inform me that the motherboard had gone out in my year and a half old computer friend, and a new motherboard was going to be $220 and I still had to pay the diagnostic fee for them finding the problem. The owner lady kept telling me that it was cheaper for me to buy a new computer, and that they also sell computers. She said that if I will buy one of their computers, they will transfer all of my information from my old computer to the new one FREE OF CHARGE.

I don't know why, but this was where she started to rub me the wrong way. If I am paying you the diagnostic fee to fix my old computer AND should I choose to purchase a new computer from you, I would really hope that you would hook up the cords and transfer info from one computer to another for free. That's kind of like owning a store that only accepts checks and that store  is having a tough time in this economy. Then a very generous person comes in and spends $250. After they pay, you realize that you forgot to ring up a $5.00 shirt. Do you make the person write out another check for $5? NO, you show your appreciation, ESPECIALLY if they are personally helping you out, and you GIVE them the shirt to show that you are grateful! I went in the store two times, and each time there were no other customers. DON'T pick over each thing if you would be making a lot of month on one purchase.


 So what did I do? I made a responsible adult decision to wait a few days to decide. And, I was kind of in mourning over the death of my old buddy Computer, so I asked her to please let me speak with my husband and see if we could rub out hands together and make the $$$ appear to fix my old computer. Ok, I didn't say that about the money part, but either way, over the next few days, my mother told me I needed a second opinion. And I'm thankful that I listened.

The new place my mother suggested resulted from a recommendation from a highly trusted client of her business. He swore that a place where he gets his computers repaired is amazing, so we decided to try a second opinion after all...

(BTW, my mom owns an income tax business, Dease Accounting in Montgomery, AL, so if you are searching for a new Accountant to handle your personal or business tax information and returns, give her a call at (334) 270-9970. Of course, I recommend her because she IS my mother, but I also worked with her there for a few years. I was very impressed with how she genuinely cares about each person and every return, and her prices are PHENONEMAL compared to H and R Block, usually MORE than 50% cheaper. I know all of my old high school and college friends are learning the hard truth about filing taxes and it's confusing anyway. I promise, if I can work for her and understand what and why things are taken out, she will definitely be able to explain it to you... haha. FYI, I'm really proud of her bc that is one stressful job during tax season!)

Back to my computer:

The name of the AWESOME computer repair business that I also now highly recommend is Computer Commuter. The owner is Kevin Elkins, and his office is located in Montgomery, Alabama on Monticello Drive. (Click HERE for directions to their office.) Turns out, my motherboard was out of service, yes. But the cause was indeed the power cord and the over-amount of power that FRIED my computer and some other technical info that I can't quite remember. There was NO pressure to buy another computer, there was no stressed out Best Buy Geek Squad Assembly Line In and Out Quickly kind of atmosphere. It's was totally worth it.

Needless to say, I was better off to buy a brand new computer. And of course, Computer Commuter helped with that as well. They don't sell computers, but they were more than willing to help us find one at a wonderful price, AND (love this!) they explained what each little GB and tit tat means that now comes on each computer... THANKS!! If you need a new computer and a place gives you a quote that you think is too high, head on over to best buy or Wal-Mart, wherever computers are sold, and get a quote from them as well. That will let you know if you are getting ripped off or not. And we definitely were NOT getting ripped off by Computer Commuter!

Fortunately, in my situation, when it came to getting a new computer, their assistance was greatly appreciated, and our BRAND NEW computer is now supposed to arrive by Friday of this week!! Yay! That is also part of our Christmas from my Mom and Step Dad, Rusty, and I am SO thankful that they are going to allow me to have it early now! I really need to get to all of my craft information before this year's Holidays arrive, too.

Speaking of Parentals, Two days ago, I went grocery shopping with my Dad, and we had SO much fun! It has been years since we had been grocery shopping together, and it had also been years since he had been in a grocery store that small! I took him to SUPER FOODS in Tallassee, a place that is a little bigger than Dollar General but much smaller than Food World. In addition to common brand names of Today's World, they also carry random brands that were popular like 30 years ago. It was so much fun to hear Daddy say, "Chelsea, I haven't seen this or that in years!" I had a great day with him, and it was nice to go back in time!

I was going to fill you in on what I've been working on over the past week, but I'm getting a little antsy sitting at the computer right now. I've typed a lot, and my medicine has kicked in to wake me up. Scott is still asleep, so I'm going to go goof off... haha. Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and considerate when leaving a comment. Constructive criticism is accepted. Any comments irrelevant to post or derogatory in nature will be deleted promptly. I'd love to hear your ideas and experiences!