Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Adding Items, Updating Prices and :WE NEED YOU!

Today I've been one busy girl! I've taken pictures of the items I made this weekend, uploaded them to albums on Facebook, answered messages, created new Facebook albums and the list goes on.. To too much further, but I could add a couple of more tasks to the list!

I'm dealing with a little problem. A fairly popular problem, but a problem to me nonetheless.
The issue at hand is:

*How to Price My Boutique Items*

Owning a store or opening a boutique, especially a boutique with HANDMADE Inventory, is incredibly difficult due to low department store prices and the fact that most people in today's generation do not place a high value on Handmade Items. Society is mainly a "cheaper is better" and "the fastest way is best," and often handmade items cost more than and average department store items.

Why do Handmade Items cost more?
                      Mainly because there are a few more factors that must be included in the financial calculations. The supplies for any handmade market are not usually bought or sold by the thousands.  As you already know, the more you buy, the less you pay. When you are a "handmaker," you usually aren't buying gobs and gobs of materials to use. No, you usually have to start small. Then, IF you even survive the start up costs, you gradually build your tool supplies and stock your necessary odds and ends.

                      Another reason is that you are paying for the work of an INDIVIDUAL, not a machine. I'm still learning new time-saving tricks everyday. If I were to actually figure in the cost of the supplies, the initial purchase of the item (IF I caught it on sale on my end), the cost of the embellishments and accessories, AND the cost of my own labor (say... minimum wage), I would have to charge $50 an earring. Now that is also due partly to my procrastination and mainly to my indecisiveness, but facts are facts.

People who design items are truly designers. People who create unique pieces are true artists as well. And everyone has heard about "struggling artists" before. That title isn't narrowed to only include shaggy haired guys with guitars playing on Bourbon Street. It also includes every struggling artist and designer in other areas too!

When we learn to design something special and decide to market your ideas and creations, we as humans, tend to undervalue our work. And often, friends and family undervalue our work as well. Take a photographer for example: Many photographers struggle to make ends meet, because friends and family, the people who help you get your business off the ground, are often the same people who expect a discount of some sort. And there are only so many discounts you can give before you realize that you're majorly in the HOLE... the place where artist fear being the most! By undervaluing our work, we also undervalue ourselves.

As a trend, most people who are just starting out tend to dwell on the opinions of others to guide their path.  And sometimes, that is not the healthy choice, especially when you have to eat and live off of your salary. I am fortunate to be able to also have a husband that provides a steady income, because the fluctuation between each sale is painful. Many others are no so blessed.

I sell my items in a Facebook Boutique and on Etsy. I have made fewer sales on Etsy than I have on facebook, but my items are priced much higher on Etsy than in my Facebook Boutique: The SAME items. I listed one item on Facebook and listed the same item on Etsy for the same price. Nothing happened on both ends. So I decided to experiment, and I relisted the same item on Etsy and TRIPLED the price. Amazingly, I've had more than twenty inquiries about it so far, and although I haven't sold that particular item, I've been included in numerous treasuries and had that item "FAVORITED" by more than 45 people. It had also led to a few personalized orders as well.

I don't know my Etsy buyers, and they don't know me. To them, I'm not Chelsea from high school. I am an artist from Alabama who creates various personalized items and jewelry. I'm legit. And I have skill to them and they take me seriously! It's really "cool"... (I know that was a HIGH SCHOOL word I just used, but... it works!) It's really strange to get compliments from people I've never met, but it keeps my spirits up and keeps me going! I would like to thank EVERYONE, friends, family, random people included... THANK YOU for helping me get this far! I really appreciate it and I depend on you!

I'm working, slowly for sure, but really working to design my web page. I'm having to add each individual item, and create a place and description for it. In the future, I plan on using my website for all of my sales. I figure I'll find a happy price medium somewhere in between Etsy and Facebook. My customers will mingle between old friends and random gyspies from India (yes... I had conversations with one!) I can't wait to launch it!

I will always enjoy the feedback I get from friends and family, and I really hope to start to get more. Even in my current contest on facebook, the wonderful person in the lead, the ONLY person who participated, is from Missouri. I'm thankful for her, because it would have been hard to launch a contest and receive no feedback and not one single referral from any friends. That's the art of the business, I guess.

One of the biggest things I think would guide me to be able to offer items YOU would like to purchase would be to receive FEEDBACK: Good AND Bad. How else will I know what you like? If you see an item you kind of like, but you think you would like a different color, TELL ME. That doesn't obligate you to buy anything! It just lets me know another point of view and opens me up to another perspective!

 Just in case you haven't liked my page yet, below is the link... I'd love to have you visit!



Make Up and Mud Facebook Boutique


Here is the link to another new Boutique! Please give them some support too!

Seek Unique

And one more link to an AMAZING photographer making her name around town! Please "LIKE" her page as well!


A Vintage Love Photography

Make sure you "LIKE" all three of these pages, because you don't want to miss getting the newest details for our upcoming sales, specials and contests! Sometimes we run contests alone, and sometimes we will pair up to run a few AWESOME Holiday Specials! Details to come!! We ALL need your support and word of mouth spreading the news!


Goodnight and God Bless!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and considerate when leaving a comment. Constructive criticism is accepted. Any comments irrelevant to post or derogatory in nature will be deleted promptly. I'd love to hear your ideas and experiences!